Friday, 9 September 2011

Grandma’s baking is a hit with the hens

Afternoon tea with the hens
I don’t remember Grandma ever saying she had been to a hen do. My daughter’s bridesmaids had organised a secret weekend away to celebrate the final weeks of singledom and invited me along. The destination turned out to be Bath and we stayed in a lovely farmhouse in Welton Manor Farm. It was an idyllic venue for a hen party!

On the first evening, we got dressed up in our best togs for dinner at the farmhouse, preceded by tasty canapés and a glass or two or fizz. After the meal, we moved into the lounge for a karaoke competition. I had also taken my saxophone so the girls sang several songs which I’d practised. It was a great success and one of the girls commented that this was the first hen do she been to with a band!

I’m not quite sure what Grandma would have made of the next day, as we set off in a minibus to Bath to do Burlesque Dancing. The hens got dressed up appropriately with basques, black stockings and suspenders. And with teacher, Rachelle’s encouragement learnt the steps to become dazzling Dancing Divas. 

After lunch, it was back to the farmhouse and another occasion to celebrate - my niece’s birthday; we made a couple of traditional cakes from Grandma’s book : Victoria Sponge and Chocolate Cake and had afternoon tea around the farmhouse kitchen table. 
Blowing the birthday candles out!
I left for the long drive home while the girls got ready for their evening’s partying with a cocktail making session, tapas and the Bath nightclubs. So, huge thanks to my daughter for asking me along and to all the girls for being so welcoming. I’m really looking forward to the big day soon. Now on with the wedding cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment