Tuesday 11 March 2014

A Taste of the Irish with Flakemeal Biscuits

Flakemeal biscuits
Some time ago, my saxophone teacher’s sister, Padraigin sent me her family recipe for Flakemeal biscuits all the way from Ireland. I’ve been saving this recipe to make as a special treat for St Patrick’s Day on 17 March. It makes about 36 biscuits and the recipe is so simple but very tasty!
Tommy’s Flakemeal biscuits
225g/8oz Flakemeal (Porridge Oats)
225g/8oz butter or margarine
110g/4oz plain flour
110g/4oz sugar
75g/3oz coconut
Put everything in a bowl and mix well. Make into dough. Roll out onto a floured surface about ½ to 1 cm thick. Cut out rounds with a cutter. Bake for 30 minutes at 180C/Mark 4/350F.
Padraigin writes : “These biscuits are my husband's favourite. I make them at different seasons of the year. I need to go and get the dinner sorted so I can get bit of sewing in later. All the best!” 
She is very gifted at sewing and makes beautifully crocheted hats and blankets.
Here's Kathleen's Apple and Nut Tea Loaf recipe - another Irish treat!

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh  (la ale-lah pwad-rig son-ah jeev) which means ‘Happy St Patrick’s Day’! Don’t forget to send me your favourite family recipes to keep traditional baking alive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.