Monday 10 February 2014

It’s Cut and Come Again Cake

 Cut and Come Again Cake
I’ve been asked so many times if Grandma had a recipe for this popular traditional cake. She classed this as a ‘useful’ light fruit cake and made it often but sadly it wasn’t written down in her collection. So, I was over the moon when Sheila gave me her family recipe :

Cut and Come Again Cake
6oz/175g butter
12oz/340g self raising flour
1 tsp mixed spice
4oz/110g soft brown sugar
8oz/225g mixed dried fruit (sultanas, currants, raisins, mixed peel, cherries)
3 eggs (beaten)
3 tbsps milk
Grease and line an 8 inch/21 cms cake tin with baking paper. Rub the butter into the flour until it’s like breadcrumbs.  Add the mixed spice, sugar and mixed dried fruit.  Add the beaten eggs gradually and then the milk until well mixed. Turn the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake in the centre of a preheated oven 180C/350F/Mark 4 for about 1¼ hours. Leave to cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.

Grandma’s baking tip : This is one of those to test with a cake tester or thin cake skewer to see if the mixture has cooked. Stick it in the centre of the cake and if there is no mixture on it when the tester is taken out, the cake is cooked. If there are traces remaining on the cake tester, then it needs further baking time.


Meryl's tip : I made this in a round cake tin as Sheila suggests but you can make it in a loaf tin and dust with icing sugar if you wish.

This cake is just right with an afternoon pot of tea. I reckon you’ll be cutting and coming back for more with this cake. Let me know what you think!

7 comments:

  1. Always a favourite in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some recipes say to rub in and others just to mix. I wonder if it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been making this cake for years always a winner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished reading a book from the Edwardian era where this cake was prominent. I love when history teaches me new things. As a Chef I hadn't heard of this cake before but will surely try the recipe now

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the temperature may be incorrect - mine cooked in 45mins when I baked it at 180deg C, and the bottom was singed. Maybe 150-160deg for this longer cooking cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember if you have a fan oven you would reduce the temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane
    Iv been looking for my mums fruit cake recipe for years.... Wow I think this is it.... Tastes exactly like I remember... Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.