Friday 10 June 2011

A splendid celebration of baking


Tea and cakes were the order of the day as we celebrated the launch of  Grandma Abson's Traditional Baking  book. Dearne Valley College  kindly hosted the event at College’s Training restaurant, The Griffin Restaurant, Wath on Dearne, Rotherham less than half a mile from where Grandma was in service. Catering and Hospitality students made up a delectable array of homemade baking treats from Grandma’s recipe collection for guests to savour. 
Bridlington cake
 
Banana Nut bread
Ginger snaps
Marmalade Spice cake
Raspberry buns
Victoria sandwich
My good friend, John Foster MBE, Managing Director at Fosters Bakery, also spoke about how Grandma’s recipes not only celebrate our baking heritage, but are highly relevant for all of us today and in the future, with food shortages and increased in the prices of foodstuffs. John has always encouraged and supported me and given me fantastic advice about this project.
It was a great day for me to revive Grandma’s legacy of baking, and once again I would like to extend my thanks to everyone who made it possible : students and staff at Dearne Valley College for their delectable baking, Mark and his team at FCD for combining design flair with meticulous attention to detail, Cathi at YPD for her generous advice and expertise in taking me through the publishing process and numerous family and friends, in particular our children, Katherine, Kate and Patrick and my chief quality control expert husband who have all supported me brilliantly in testing out the recipes, proof reading and myriad suggestions. Let the #baking begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.