Friday, 24 June 2011

A bit of a calamity

 A really sad cake plate
A few weeks ago, I had a bit of a calamity. When I was getting out Grandma's three tier cake stand, I broke one of the three matching plates. Like many things we all keep as family heirlooms, it isn’t worth a great deal in £ but it's the great sentimental value which is the hardest to bear.

The plate is decorative pottery from the 1930s. I did a bit of research about the Parrott mark on the back and discovered that Arthur William Parrott and his brother Charles Henry Parrott operated the Albert Street Pottery in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent from c.1921 to the 1960s.  I love the effect of cakes, teabreads and biscuits on old fashioned patterned plates, perfect for afternoon tea so love piling up the stand with cakes just like Grandma did.

Grandma’s glorious 3 tiered cake stand 
Fortunately, I found a ceramic restorer who has experience of conserving items by invisible restoration so that they can be displayed and enjoyed again.

I never imagined that I would see the plate appear as if it had not been damaged but Doreena did a brilliant job. Here's Grandma’s plate with Paradise Cake in all its glory on the front cover of Grandma Abson's Traditional Baking book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment