Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Chantilly Cake – that’s what I like!


Chantilly Cake
You’ve heard of Chantilly Cream, the vanilla whipped cream for desserts and puddings which takes its name from Chantilly, just north of Paris. And Grandma knew all about Chantilly Lace, the handmade bobbin lace from the same French city. And she may have even heard the hit rock and roll song of the same name on my transistor radio! 

But what about Chantilly Cake? I love collecting favourite family recipes to keep our traditional baking legacy alive so was delighted to get this one from Faith, who heard about Grandma’s baking when I went to Crowle earlier this year. She writes : “I am sending this recipe for Chantilly Cake as promised. It was given to my mother by one of her friends, a Mrs. Kipling, from Braithwell! It's an exceedingly good cake”.

And it’s true! It’s an ideal cake for a glorious sunny afternoon tea in the garden. It’s so very simple to make and keeps moist too.
CHANTILLY CAKE
8 oz/225g butter
1 0z/25g lard (or see Meryl’s tips)
8 oz/225g sugar
3 eggs
8 oz/225g self raising flour
2 ½ oz/60g ground rice
2 ½ 0z/60g almonds
4 oz/110g walnuts
4 oz/110g glace cherries
2 oz/50g angelica
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cream the sugar and the fats (butter and lard). Add the beaten eggs. Add the dry ingredients, stirring all the time. Cook for one hour in a moderate oven. (I suggest 180C/160C Fan/Mark 4/350F)

Meryl’s’ tips :
·         If you don’t like using lard, simply substitute butter.
·         Wash and dry the glace cherries so they don’t fall to the bottom of the cake.  
·         I use vanilla extract instead of essence as it gives a stronger flavour.
·         I added a little milk to make a slightly softer mixture.
If you’ve got a favourite family recipe, please let me know and we can share it here. Many thanks to Faith for this giving us this hidden gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment