Thursday 28 June 2012

You never know what's around the corner

The saying ‘you never know what’s around the corner’ has proved to be quite true for me. I’ve just spent 3 days in hospital undergoing unexpected major surgery. Pleased to say that I am now progressing well at home.
When the anaesthetist and the team were getting me ready for the ‘big sleep’, I started a discussion about the appeal of traditional baking - the simple recipes, the flavour of spices such as cinnamon and ginger together with reduced sugar, as Grandma did in times of austerity and rationing. I soon discovered the team’s favourite cakes.
Chocolate Cake
Victoria Sandwich
Coffee Cake
All this cake certainly took my mind off things as I drifted off into a world of baking bliss.
Back home, I’ve been having lots of  R 'n' R. In fact I’m only allowed to lift no more than a cup of tea. Luckily, a good friend brought me some scrummy homemade scones. It just reminds me how putting the kettle on for a cup of tea and a piece of cake helps deal with all manner of life’s difficulties. And it's so much better if it’s lovingly homemade.
Here's Grandma’s recipe for perfect Scones. I like different varieties but my favourites are fruit scones. Which are your favourites - apple and cinnamon, cherry, cheese.... so many to choose from? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.