Thursday, 28 June 2012

R ‘n’ R is the order of the day!

The popular saying goes something like ‘you never know what’s around the corner’ and this has proved to be quite true for me. I’ve just spent 3 days in hospital undergoing major surgery. Pleased to say that I am now progressing well at home.

Back at the hospital, whilst preparing for the operation, Grandma’s baking wasn’t too far from my mind when the anaesthetist and his team were getting me ready for the ‘big sleep’. Before long, we were discussing what was so good about traditional baking – the appeal of simple recipes with few ingredients, the flavour of spices such as cinnamon and ginger and reduction in sugar as Grandma did in times of austerity and rationing to make unpretentious but delicious treats. I soon discovered which were the team’s favourite cakes : Lemon Cake, Cherry Bakewells and Chocolate Cake. There are versions of these in  Grandma Abson's Traditional Baking book. It certainly took my mind off what was to come as I drifted off into a world of baking bliss.

Since arriving back home, I’ve been having lots of rest and recuperation – in fact I’m only allowed to lift no more than a cup of tea for the next few weeks. Luckily, a good friend brought me some scrummy homemade scones to raise my spirits. Ah! It just reminds me how putting the kettle on for a cup of tea and have a piece of cake to deal with all manner of life’s difficulties. And isn’t it so much better if it’s lovingly made at home with good ingredients?

You can find Grandma’s recipe for Scones  on page 65 of Grandma Abson's Traditional Baking. I like to taste different varieties of scones but my favourite are fruit scones. Which are your favourites - cherry, cheese, apple or just plain  ...? 

No comments:

Post a Comment