Saturday, 28 January 2012

What would you choose…..?

Afternoon Tea in London
When I’m driving about, I nearly always listen to the radio. This week, there’s been a lot of chat about the 70th anniversary of the BBC Radio 4 Desert Island Discs programme. Just by way of explanation, this is a radio show where the interviewer (currently Kirsty Young) asks the interviewee or ‘castaway’ to choose 8 pieces of music, a luxury item and a book to have with them on the desert island.

Whilst I’d have to think hard about which pieces to choose out of the vast selection of music I like, I’d have no hesitation in asking for an oven, a supply of baking ingredients and of course Grandma Abson’s Traditional Baking book to keep me happy and busy.

I’m delighted to announce that, later this year, I’m going to be working with students from the University of Huddersfield  to produce some video clips of traditional baking techniques and a range of recipes, as part of my mission to keep Grandma’s baking legacy alive. I’m very excited about achieving this over the next few months. Over the summer and in the autumn, final year undergraduate media students will be carrying out all the stages of planning, shooting and editing footage.

But first, I want to find out which recipes will be the ones you want to see. I asked Milan, who’s in charge of the students, which one he would choose and he told me his favourite cake is Victoria Sponge. I’m well impressed as he’s clearly a skilled home chef who loves cooking regularly for family and friends.  Over the next 4 weeks, I’ll be doing a poll on  Grandma Abson's Facebook page to see which cakes, buns (small cakes), teabreads, biscuits, puddings, jams and chutneys you’d like to see. I’m really looking forward to seeing your results. 

Take a look at what we made for  Afternoon tea in London last summer. What will you choose?


No comments:

Post a Comment