Saturday 28 January 2012

Desert Island baking

Afternoon Tea in London
When I’m in the kitchen, I'm always listening to the radio. BBC Radio 4 Desert Island Discs always produces some interesting choices. The interviewer asks the interviewee or ‘castaway’ to choose 8 pieces of music, a luxury item and a book to have with them on the desert island. Whilst I’d have to think hard about which music to choose, I’d have little hesitation in asking for an oven, a supply of baking ingredients and Grandma Abson’s Traditional Baking book to keep me happy.
I’m going to be working with students from the University of Huddersfield  to produce some video clips of traditional baking techniques and a range of recipes, as part of my mission to keep Grandma’s baking legacy alive. I’m very excited about doing this with final year undergraduate media students who will be carrying out all the stages of planning, shooting and editing footage.
I want to find out which recipes will be the ones you want to see. I asked Milan, who’s in charge of the students, which recipes he would choose and he told me his favourite cake is Victoria Sandwich. I’m well impressed as he’s a skilled home chef who loves cooking regularly for family and friends.  
Over the next 4 weeks, I’ll be doing a poll on Grandma Abson's Facebook page to see which cakes, buns, teabreads, biscuits, puddings, jams and chutneys you’d like me to bake.
Take a look at what we made for Afternoon tea in London last summer. What would you choose for desert island baking?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.